Before modern agriculture was introduced, farmers used to grow crops using simple methods. They used manure for the soil and herbal sprays when pests or diseases attacked the plants. With the industrial revolution, the monoculture made its appearance. From this time the farmer used "crop protection" and insects gradually became resistant. The amount of chemicals used nowadays is way too much and the buildup of resistance among the diseases and pests is a real problem. When a pesticide is used, all it achieved is reducing the local pest population. This invites other members of the same species to take their place, so little more than a delay in pest attack is achieved. Agricultural chemicals never can cure diseases if they did not have the power of altering the state of health. It is always symptomatic and leaves traces, contaminants in the environment.
Agro Homeopathic medicines have advantages because they:
- alter the physiological activities of plants
- alter the rate of enzymatic activities, total sugar, protein and chlorophyll contents in plants
- manage biotic stresses with anti-fungal, anti-microbial, anti-insecticidal activities
- manage abiotic stress: salt stress, drought stress, cold stress, metal toxicity, mechanical damage etc.
- can be cost effective and very efficient in terms of abiotic stress tolerance
- can be used safely for various purposes such as seed germination
- have the potential to regulate growth and treat a variety of plant diseases.